Sunday, December 13, 2009

Reflection

This past semester in ME250 was a lot of work where a lot was also learned. The first few weeks of the semester spent on the project were dedicated to brainstorming and designing the machine. The first noticeable thing I learned from these few weeks was the ability to use CAD. I had never used a CAD program before this class and I think my skills improved drastically. The labs were helpful as well as the homework, and the work load was challenging but defiantly doable. Looking back though, another important thing I learned was the procedures of the actual design process. The amount of repetition, critique and failure that goes with the design process is huge. I learned it is almost impossible to design something from scratch without having problems or flaws with the initial design.

Moving into the lectures and next part of the semester, I learned a lot about ways to utilize and manufacture parts of a machine. For example, learning about different types of gears, linkages, etc. paid off for our team. Our machine used bevel gears as a key component making our machine quit durable. Also, creating a bill of materials and manufacturing plan was something I had never done before. Finally, moving into the manufacturing phase of the project, I learned a lot. The obvious being, learning how to use the lathe and mill as well as how to fit and use tolerances properly. The manufacturing in my opinion, despite having a short period of time, was the most intriguing part of the class.

I learned all of the things listed above, but another key thing I learned this semester was how to meet deadlines. Our team was often pushed to meet deadlines that seemed impossible. Several of our team members were often up late nights completing work that still had to be completed. Contributing your own time on your own schedule was important because our group could not meet all together several times a week. Our group had to assign individuals tasks over week long periods and trust that they were going to get done.

Overall the ME250 course was very challenging. I feel that this idea and purpose of the course is very on target, fun and interesting. I do, however, think there should be some things done differently in the course. The initial design and repetition of design, with the addition of homework and CAD assignments was too much. Some of the homework and design homework’s seemed like busy work that wasn’t necessary. The large amount of time for this process also reduced manufacturing time which fell right around midterm exam times. There should be more time laid out for manufacturing the machine. Also, when it came to scoring some of the homework and assignments, I think there should be a more clear and precise rubric for the students to look at to know how they are being scored. Finally, there was too much work outside of the classroom that was necessary. The recitation sections were helpful, but was almost as if I had another class to attend. The motor and bike labs required our group to meet outside of class as well when it was very difficult as is to meet all together as a group. I don’t think the work outside the classroom should be neglected, however, more time slots should be available.

I think I did fairly well in the course. At the beginning of the semester and during midterm exam times, I became very stressed and had other courses to worry about as well so I think I could have done better on the homework and design milestones had I been more prepared. I began to use smaller periods of time during the day to complete the work little by little and improved my scores. Overall, I think I did decently well in the class and enjoyed it.

- Adam Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment